Friday, March 16, 2012

Ain't no thing but a chicken wing!

I know, 2 posts in 1 day, but I HAD promised that I would share a chicken wing recipe with you all this week. FINALLY, I have time to make it and enjoy it. I am making "Can't Get Enough Chicken Wings" from the book pictured below: 100 best 4 ingredient recipes. This book has appetizers, side dishes, chicken, beef, pork, fish/shellfish, kid food, and desserts, all with (who would have guessed) 4 ingredients.



Here are the ingredients:

18 chicken wings (about 3 lbs) ( NB: in the picture, you can see I only have about 1.5 lbs of chicken--you can cut the recipe in 1/2 if you want)
1 envelope LIPTON RECIPE SECRETS Savory Herb with Garlic soup mix
1/2 cup water
2-3 Tbsp. hot pepper sauce (optional and you can use as much as you would like)
2 Tbsp. margarine or butter




First, cut the tips off the chicken wings. You can dispose of these or save them for soup (make your own chicken stock? Yum). Deep fry, bake or broil the wings until they're golden brown and crunchy. I did a standard setting (350) and just watched the chicken wings. If you're going to bake them (like I am), I suggest lining a pan w/aluminum foil and then spraying it w/non-stick cooking spray. This might seem cautious, but I have learned too many times that the spray really does help.
Tips: salt and pepper your chicken before you bake it. That way, the chicken and skin will have some flavor.
I put my chicken in the oven to bake at 350 degrees with a 30-minute timer, but I would keep an eye on it. Also, don't forget to check the temp of the chicken--160 degrees or more!
Don't forget to wash your hands after touching raw chicken!





While this is going, in a small saucepan combine the soup mix, water, and hot pepper sauce if you want any--I'm not! Cook this over a low heat, stirring it occasionally, for 2 minutes, or until it thickens it up. After it thickens, remove it from the heat and stir in margarine.





Finally, in a large bowl, toss the cooked chicken wings with the hot soup mixture until the chicken is evenly coated. The book suggests serving over greens with cut-up celery. However, I'm going to eat it just the way it is.







Ta-da! The finished product. I ate this with a salad, some fruit(mandarin oranges), and orange juice (don't ask me why--I've been craving it all day).
Taste test: It was.....ok. I'm not really a fan of garlic, so I wasn't lovin' the sauce...and I might have undercooked the chicken a wee bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment