Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Recipe Wednesday

Hello again! I am sorry I keep bombarding you with blogs, but I am trying to get back on track with my blogging schedule. Today IS Wednesday, which means it's time for a new recipe.

My recipe today is whole-wheat bread...made in the MICROWAVE! This comes from a book that a close friend gave to me my junior year of college when I only had a compact microwave to cook with. Here is the book:


The recipe is called, "Easy Whole-Wheat Batter Bread" but you can make it into a white bread variation.

Here are the necessary ingredients:


First, dissolve the yeast in water in a 2-quart bowl. I used a 2+-quart casserole dish. Set that aside for 5 minutes, then add the brown sugar and other ingredients and beat it thoroughly.


Next, cover the dish. I covered it in plastic wrap. TIP: WHEN COVERING DOUGH IN PLASTIC WRAP, SPRAY THE SIDE OF THE PLASTIC WRAP THAT WILL TOUCH THE BREAD WITH COOKING SPRAY. THAT WAY, THE DOUGH WON'T STICK TO THE WRAP. Then microwave at medium power (50%) for 1 minute. Let it rest for 15 minutes, then repeat this process until the dough is doubled in size. It took me 3 times to do this.

When the dough is doubled in size, stir it down and transfer it to an oiled 8-inch pie plate or ring pan. I used a pie plate. Cover again and microwave for 1 minute at medium (50%) power, then let it rest for 15 minutes. Repeat that again ONCE.


Finally, brush the top of the bread with milk and sprinkle with oatmeal, if you would like. Microwave UNCOVERED for 12-15 minutes (I did 12) at medium (50%) power. Invert it as soon as it is done.

Ta-da!!!



The finished product (I was hungry). The bread was somewhat chewy, but had a delicious, almost sweet taste to it. We (Mom, Dad, and I) at the loaf in 1 day. It was surprisingly good!

Here is the recipe:

1 1/2 cups very warm water (110˚F) 1 cup whole wheat flour
1 package yeast 2 cups white flour
3 tablespoons brown sugar 1/4 cup oil

1. Dissolve yeast in water in a 2-quart bowl. Set aside for 5 minutes. Stir in brown sugar. Add the remaining ingredients. Beat thoroughly; cover.
2. Microwave for 1 minute at MEDIUM (50%). Rest 15 minutes. Repeat until batter has doubled.
3. Stir down batter. Place in an oiled 9-inch pie plate or ring pan. Cover and microwave for 1 minute at MEDIUM (50%). Rest 15 minutes. Repeat.
4. Brush with milk and sprinkle with oatmeal if desired. Microwave uncovered for 12 to 15 minutes at MEDIUM (50%). Invert immediately.

Yields: 1 loaf.

Compact microwave: Microwave for 8 to 9 minutes at HIGH (100%) in step #4. Proof (or rise) bread without microwaving in steps #2 and #3.
Variation: For white batter bread: Use all white flour and substitute white sugar for the brown sugar.

TIPS: One advantage of microwaving bread is the time saved. By using the microwave oven you can even cut the proofing time for conventionally baked bread by 1/2.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment