Saturday, August 25, 2012

New buys, SAIs, and much more...

HELLO! I'm back! Good to be back here blogging again!

It has been quite a busy summer (not what I anticipated)! First of all, I'll start with some early buys. When I got home, I found in an eye appointment that I (again) needed new glasses. These bad boys are Vera Wangs! They are purple (of course) with some bling-bling on the sides! So me.

Lastly, I got a new Coach purse that is a super-cute neutral with a color block of metallics.

Next, I bought a purple blouse with a neck cut-out. Very cute, although no picture. I wear it as much as I can.

I'm going to pause the "new buys" now and move onto "SAIs". As I have mentioned before, I am in Sigma Alpha Iota. And as I wrote about in my post, "Georgia on my Mind", I said I was going down to GA for the Triennial SAI Convention. Finally, I have time to blog about my experiences in the South!

Leaving for Cincy: Atlanta, GA is roughly 14 hours away from my hometown, so this was definitely going to be an overnight trip down. Mom and I left for the Monroe outlets (where I bought the shirt and Coach purse). The Monroe outlets are approximately 30 minutes north of Cincinnati, and are lots of fun to go shopping or walking around in. Mom and I went there, then down to Berea, KY, where we spent the night (this being 15 minutes away from picking up my first roommate).

Day 1 of convention: I left at 5:45 a.m. for my first roommate's apt. After meeting and packing her things in the Cruze we rented, we took off for Louisville (2 hours away), grabbing breakfast at Starbucks. We got to Louisville around 8:30(ish?) and packed everything up quickly, we took off again, this time for Atlanta, GA. After stopping for gas, lunch, and restroom breaks, we finally made it to GA! We arrived around 4:15, right when delegate orientation began. I got to the registration table (haven't checked into our room yet), and they couldn't find me under alumni...so I went to collegiate delegate. There I was...however, there were some issues with money that needed to be resolved, so I went to National Headquarters to discuss the issue. There, I met the National Vice-President of Finance, Jennifer Zerangue, and talked to her about how I had graduated. We figured that I could not possibly be a collegiate delegate, so I got registered as an alumnae. But let's not forget that I had to pay $25 extra for an alumnae fee (not a big deal), National Headquarters was closing in 7 minutes, and I had forgotten my wallet in the Cruze parked below in valet. When I run back up, it's already 5:10, and there are my roommates, waiting to put our luggage away...

Fast-forward 3 hours: I am registered as an alumnae, which means no voting for me. Initiation is performed, and then an opening reception. Here is where I met up with my faculty advisor from UC, my province officer, and other girls from my province! We had to decorate our "Province flag" for the next morning, so we all went up to our room, with the *king* bed and rollaway, and had fun catching up.

Day 2: The next morning was the parade of flags and our first general session. In the general sessions, we all have assigned seating by province and chapter. During these, we cover important information, including reports of committees, different programs, voting, and miniature musicales.

The "SAI Mall" was open daily 8-5. Here, you could purchase jewelry, clothing, and other inventions of SAI sisters.

Next was a "Welcome Luncheon", which was very nice! It included a 3-course lunch, concert by the SAI Wind Ensemble, and the guests of honors talking about their lives.

After another general session, our Province headed out to Max Lager's, a nearby pub/grill, eating a (deliciously) fast dinner. Then, we ran back to hear the IAMA (Inter-American Music Awards Concert). It was fabulous! After that was "Open Mic Night", similar to a talent show. I went up to the room and fell asleep. Fast.

Day 3: PHLEA-PHLAM. This thing is so popular, there was a long line out the door before it began. Individual chapters make gifts or items to sell for money to go to their chapters. I bought a necklace, earrings, and a coaster.

Next were our breakout workshops. Our province gathered together to make sure we all went to different sessions to take good notes for each other. I went to (1) The Ritual of SAI, (2) How to Have a Successful Official Visit, and (3) Designing Attractive Musical Programs with Interesting Program Notes. These workshops were GREAT! I learned SO much! AND, bonus, I had a lot of fun at them. After dinner in the hotel mall/food court, we went to the "Song of Atlanta Show Chorus". So. Good. These ladies wore all purple (yes, purple bias, I love it) and danced and sang, a capella, in barbershop quartet style. The singing was wonderful, and the dancing was icing on the cake. Great end to a long day!

Day 4: This was our last full day. It started with a forum, one for collegiates, one for alumni. I went to the alumni forum: "Maladies, Antidotes, and Prescriptions". It was a very educational forum about how to fix problems in an alumnae chapter, how to get alums more involved in SAI, and how to deal with the new technology.

More general sessions, and the election results are announced!

In the afternoon, all of us SAIs took a "Sunday Stroll" to a nearby church to hear an organ concert, which was indeed AWESOME.

Finally, we had 3 hours of free time, so our Province chose to go to the Centennial Park, which was just...a VERY cool experience. Pictures soon.

After that came the DINNER OF HONORS. This is the fancy weekend ending that everyone gets super dressed up to go to. I'm talking floor-length gowns, super fancy hair and makeup, even gloves! I wore my LBD with pumps, hairs did, and fancy make-up. There, we had a delicious 4-course dinner, listened to music, and had an awards ceremony. The last thing of the night was a "Fraternity Sing", where we all sang SAI songs.

Day 5: Our last general session, with the installment of the new officers. Out with the old, in with the new! Then, we said good-bye and headed off to Hard Rock Cafe (we being me, my 2 roommates, and my faculty advisor) for a yummy last lunch.

We left GA at 2:45, I got to the hotel in Richmond, KY (5 minutes away from last drop-off of roommate) at 11:55. There, my parents were waiting. I made it! The next day, we drove home, stopping at UC campus for, of course, some Ludlow Skyline Chili.

What I learned and my experiences: The first thing I learned and experienced at the convention was that the National Executive Board...they are like celebrities. If you meet or talk with them, you feel awesome afterwards, like you got an autograph from a famous person. So, registration was awesome.

Our hotel was AWESOME. We stayed at the Hyatt Regency Atlanta, right in the heart of downtown. There was a "mini-Starbucks" in the lobby, and 3-4 different towers of 20-23 stories of rooms. We were on the 8th floor. There was a 3-level mall and food court, a CVS, and a restaurant and bar. This was a city in the hotel.

At the Welcome Luncheon, we got to hear a wonderful ensemble: The SAI Wind Ensemble, led by Michael Braz, a professor of music at Georgia Southern University. It was a great experience, and our province met a few people from VA!

During the general sessions, different speakers gave presentations about projects that SAI is involved in. It was awe-inspiring to see just how much SAI was doing around the world for music.

Attending this convention has inspired me to be a better SAI sister. Talking to others, it inspired them in the same way. I feel so motivated to better myself as an SAI.

It really is true: When every member of SAI there stands and sings the chorale, chills run up and down your body. And when it was time to say good-bye and everyone stood and sang "So Near, So Dear is SAI", I cried and wasn't ashamed.

I cried when this ended. I cried alot. And I'll be going back in 3 years, wherever it may be.

Here's my experience! Pictures will be up tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment