Monday, November 11, 2013

Motivation Monday

I thought I would incorporate a little motivation into my blog. This is a new segment: Motivation Monday, where I post a quote I find inspirational in my life.

Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence.
-Calvin Coolidge

I had a good start to my day by NOT getting a frozen mocha (saving 570 cals, 94 g carbs, and 78 g sugar) and instead starting my day off with a silk vanilla almond milk (only 30 cals, 1 g carbs, and 0 g sugar). This is such a good alternative for me, not only because of the incredible contrast in nutrition information, but also because of my lactose issue.

When I was very little, I would often be sick (physically). My parents never knew the meaning of my illness until taking me to a doctor, where they found out I was lactose-intolerant. As the years pass, my lactose intolerance comes and goes. Every few years, it changes--some years, lactose-intolerant, others, not.

I could never truly verbalize HOW dairy products felt in my stomach or going down my throat because a) I was too young to understand, and b) I never thought about it before. Recently, I was talking with Mom about it and realized the problem:

When I drink milk, or eat ice cream, anything with dairy in it, (some) yogurts, etc...the dairy feels like it coats my throat...almost like my throat is swelling up. Swallowing becomes difficult. Mom was glad I was finally able to explain it. 

Ok, back to the almond milk story. I am a huge fan of trying new things, so I have decided to try new organic foods. I only try one every few months because of the cost. Last month, Silk almond milk was on sale for $1.00/carton. I bought one carton of dark chocolate milk. It was DELICIOUS!! So chocolate-y and yummy. But the best part of the milk was that it went very smoothly down my throat. It didn't coat it at all and I was able to drink the whole carton and still swallow. This was a great discovery! This month, I bought one dark chocolate almond milk and one vanilla. While the vanilla is not as good as the chocolate, I would still drink it over regular dairy any day.

Have a wonderful day!

No comments:

Post a Comment