Thursday, July 5, 2012

Book & CD review

One of my summer goals was to read more, and it has been going well. So far, I have finished 4 books in less than a month! I wanted to do my first book (and CD) review of the summer, just so people can see what I read and maybe get their own ideas of what they want to read or listen to this summer! NOTE: THIS IS my PERSONAL OPINION. NOT YOURS. DO NOT JUDGE ME BY WHAT I WRITE HERE. THANK YOU.

First up is the book. I just finished the book called, "Goodbye Dear, I'll Be Back in a Year" by Patricia Abbott. First, details about the book itself:

--written in 2002
--295 pages
--first sentence of the book: "'Oh, look, it's Jack!'"
--last sentence of the book: "'Those aren't sirens, they're bells.'"
--synopsis: "Goodbye Dear, I'll Be Back in a Year is a story of young love and dreams and of the ravages of time, distance and war on those dreams. In the 1940's women believed in 'Once Upon a Time' and 'Happily Ever After'. Ginny Fairfax is a romantic. The first time she sees blond, blue eyed Jack Andrews, she silently says, 'Hubba! Hubba!'He is the man she wants in her rose-covered cottage.
By 1940, Roosevelt had instituted a peacetime draft where the men were to serve for only one year. Jack believes that, as the song says, he'll be back in a year. Hitler, Hirohito, Churchill and Roosevelt all conspire against him and Jack is at Schofield Army Base in Hawaii when the Japanese bomb Pearl Harbor. It is four invasions and four long years later before Jack sees Ginny again."

This is a semi-short read, compared to what I usually read. Honestly, I enjoyed the book, but the synopsis was not what I thought it was about...

I love WWII, and I love hopeless romance, so this book was a good read for me. Some parts of it were not as interesting, especially when the text was just reiterating events of WWII, but other than that, it was a sweet love story with a twist at the end (that I think might have happened a lot in real life after WWII).


Next up is the CD: Clay Aiken--Steadfast.

Do not judge. I like Clay Aiken. There, I said it. This CD was again, a perfect match for me: the songs are oldies and classics, such as "Moon River", "Unchained Melody", and "Misty". Some of my favorite music. Great CD, great singer!

No comments:

Post a Comment