Sunday, November 2, 2014

Happy Planks-giving

Here's hoping that last blog post didn't scare you off. This should be a much happier post. I don't like posting negative things about my life because I am a pessimist by nature and I feel that talking/writing negatively really feeds that habit.

Happy November! Where did the time go? I can't believe that in two months, it will be 2015, and soon after New Years, I'll be 25! A quarter (of a century) old! I guess I can have a quarter-life crisis now, right?

Speaking of a NEW month and a NEW year, I have joined a NEW gym in town called Planet Fitness. You might have heard of this from numerous TV ads ("judgement free zone" or from the TV show "The Biggest Loser". I don't watch the show that often (except for this year...have you SEEN Jessie?!! Yum), but I noticed that all of their gym equipment is purple (my favorite color). Then talks of this Planet Fitness (PF) kept swirling around town, and finally one opened seven minutes away. PF had a great opening month deal and I grabbed it as soon as I could. The parents also joined and now we go together (at least Mother and I do).

As for the title of this blog...well...I can explain.

I love a challenge. I've always been that way, and I don't know why, but I love proving people wrong. I found that out during my freshman year of college.

Every spring at UC, the piano department has a "board", or a test, to determine your abilities and to evaluate any progress made. You must memorize 30 minutes of music and perform it in a concert hall while the piano professors listen and take notes. If you succeed, you continue on; if not, you are out of the program and must re-audition in the fall to be accepted into CCM.

Practice is obviously important to memorize 30 minutes of music, but here's the thing. I don't practice. That's just not me. I am not one to sit at a piano and play for hours. I would practice approximately 5 minutes a day, at the most. It was the same thing in high school as well.

One day, I was practicing my board pieces in front of my piano professor, and he stopped me so we could talk. He asked me how much time weekly I devote to practicing, and I was honest. He told me he was disappointed that I didn't put in more of an effort to practice, especially if I wanted to be there so badly. He then said that he thought, judging by the way I played then, that I would not pass the board, and that I would have to re-audition in the fall for the piano program.

Hearing that was a major blow to my confidence. I knew I wasn't good, but not good enough to stay in the program? I had finally made it into my dream school, and now I would be out in one year? It couldn't happen.

I called my parents and I went home for the weekend. I practiced 6 hours Saturday, 6 hours Sunday, drove back, and practiced 2 hours Monday morning. Then it was board time.

I BLEW AWAY the piano professors (especially mine). They couldn't believe how much I had improved in one year. My professor came up to me afterwards and said that he didn't know what I did, but I had proven him wrong and he was glad.

That moment felt GREAT. Someone had given me a challenge, and I had not only completed it, but I had knocked it out of the ballpark. From then on, I loved getting challenges.

It just made sense to apply this to exercise, so for the month of November, I am doing the Happy "Planks-giving" challenge, in which I have to hold a plank for a certain amount of time each day. Yesterday was 20 secs and it was already a doozy, but I did it! Today is 30 secs, and by the end of the month, I will be holding planks for 3 minutes.

Wish me luck and Happy November!

DISCLAIMER: I am NOT "planking". Google it if you're not sure, but I am NOT planking. No sir.

No comments:

Post a Comment